Wilkommen Im Hotel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wilkommen Im Hotel

Forum about the french novel l'Etage Interdit by Caroline SAUVAGEOT.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

[Story for Geeks] Pretty Little Poly Nomial & Curly Pi

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carrie
Admin
Admin
Carrie

[Story for Geeks] Pretty Little Poly Nomial & Curly Pi Empty
PostSubject: [Story for Geeks] Pretty Little Poly Nomial & Curly Pi   [Story for Geeks] Pretty Little Poly Nomial & Curly Pi Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 10:58 pm

PRETTY LITTLE POLY NOMIAL & CURLY PI

Once upon a time (1/t) pretty little Polly Nomial was strolling across a field of vectors when she came to the boundary of a singularly large matrix. Now Polly was convergent, and her mother had made it an absolute condition that she must never, ever enter such an array without her brackets on. Polly, however, who had changed her variables that morning and was feeling particularly badly behaved, ignored this condition on the basis that it was insufficient, and made her way in amongst the complex elements.

Rows and columns closed in on her from all sides. Tangents approached her surface, and she became tenser and tenser. Quite suddenly, two branches of a hyperbola touched her at a single point. She oscillated violently, became unstable, lost all sense of directrix, tripped over a square root that was protruding from the erf, and plunged headlong down a steep gradient. She was completely divergent by the time she reached the turning point. When she rounded off once more, she found herself inverted, apparently alone in a non-euclidean space.

She was being watched, however. That smooth operator, Curly Pi, was lurking inner product. As his eyes devoured her curvilinear coordinates, a singular expression crossed his face. He wondered, was she convergent? He decided to integrate improperly at once.

Hearing a common fraction behind her, Polly rotated and saw Curly Pi approaching with his lower series extended. She could see at once his degenerate conic and his dissipative terms, and knew he was irrational. "Arcsinh!" she gasped.

"Hey, what's your sine?" he asked. "What a symmetric set of asymptotes you have!"

"Stay away from me!" she protested. "I haven't got any brackets on!"

"Calm yourself, my dear!" said the smooth operator.. "Your fears are purely imaginary."

"i, i, ..." she thought, "Perhaps he's not normal, but homologous."

"What order are you?" the brute suddenly demanded.

"Seventeen," replied Polly.

Curly leered, "I suppose you've never been operated upon?"

"Of course not. I'm absolutely convergent!" Polly replied quite properly.

"Come on," said Curly: "Let's go to decimal place I know of, and I'll take you to the limit."

"Never!" gasped Polly..

"Abscissa!" he swore a violent oath. Coshing her over the coefficient with a log until she was powerless, Curly removed her discontinuities. He stared at her significant places, and began smoothing her points of inflection. Poor Polly Nomial! The algorithm method was now her only hope. She felt him approaching her asymptotic limit. Her convergence would soon be gone forever. There was no mercy; Curly was a heavy side operator. His radius squared itself and Polly's loci quivered. He integrated by parts. He integrated by partial fractions. After he cofactored, he performed Runge-Kutta on her. He even went all the way around and did a contour integration. Curly went on operating until he satisfied her hypotheses, then he exponentiated and became completely orthogonal.

When Polly got home that night, her mother noticed that she was no longer piecewise continuous, but had been truncated in several places. But it was too late to differentiate now. As the months went by, Polly's denominator increased monotonically. Finally, they took her to L'Hopital and generated a small but pathological function which left surds all over the place and drove Polly to deviation.

The moral of this tale is: "If you want to keep your expressions convergent, never allow them a single degree of freedom."

Now that's what I call getting your Mathematical Pundamentals right.

------------------------------------------

Traduction approximative en français : ICI

Il était une fois (1/x), la jolie petite Polly Nôme se promenait à travers un champs de vecteurs quand elle arriva à la limite d'une matrice singulièrement importante. A ce moment là, Polly était convergente et sa mère avait posé la condition absolue qu'elle ne devait jamais, au grand jamais, entrer dans un tel tableau sans ses parenthèses sur elle. Polly cependant, qui avait changé de variables ce matin et qui se sentait d'humeur à mal se comporter, ignora cette condition sur la base du fait que c'était insuffisant et fit son chemin parmi le éléments complexes.

Les lignes et les colones se refermèrent sur elle de tous côtés. Des tangentes s'approchèrent de sa surface et elle devient de plus en plus tendue. Tout à coup, deux branches d'une hyperbole la touchèrent en un point unique. Elle oscilla violemment, devint instable, perdit tout sens de la directrice, trébucha sur une racine carrée qui dépassait de "l'erf", et plongea la tête la première dans une pente raide. Elle était complètement divergente au moment où elle atteint le point tournant. Quand elle s'arrondi une fois de plus, elle se trouva inversée, apparement seule dans un espace non euclidien.

Elle était surveillée cependant. Ce doux opérateur, Pi Bouclé, se cachait sous le produit (scalaire ?). Alors qu'il dévorait des yeux ses coordonnées curvilignes, une expression singulière traversa son visage. Il se demandait, était-elle convergente ? Il décida de s'intégrer à tort d'un coup.

Entendant une fraction commune derrière elle, Polly se retourna et vi Pi Bouclé qui approchait avec ses séries inférieures étendues. Elle pouvait voir à la fois son conic dégénéré et ses termes dissipatifs, et elle su qu'il était irrationel. "Arcsinh !" halletait-elle.

- Hey ! quel est ton sinus ? a-t-il demandé. Quel jeu symétrique d'asymptotes tu as !

- Restez loin de moi ! a-t-elle protesté. Je n'ai pas de parenthèses sur moi !

- Calmez-vous ma chère ! a déclaré le doux opérateur... Vos craintes sont purement imaginaires.

- Je, je.. pensait-elle. Peut-elle qu'il n'est pas normal, mais homologue.

- Quel ordre as-tu ? demanda la brute tout à coup.

- Dix-sept, répondit Polly.

- Je suppose que tu n'as jamais été opérée, ricana Curly.

- Bien sûr que non. Je suis absolument convergente ! répondu correctement Polly.

- Allez, dit Curly, allons dans un lieux décimal que je connais, et je t'amènerai à la limite.

- Jamais ! s'exclama Polly, le souffle coupé.

- Abscisse ! jura-t-il violemment.

La couchant sur le coefficient avec un logarithme pendant qu'elle était impuissante, Curly lui enleva ses discontinuités. Il fixa ses parties importantes et commença à lisser ses points d'inflections. Pauvre Polly Nome ! La méthode algorythme était maintenant son seul espoir. Elle le sentit approcher sa limite asymptotique (à elle). Sa convergence serait bientôt disparue à jamais. Il n'y avait aucune pitié, c'était très dur de se battre contre un opérateur lourd comme Curly. Son rayon se mit au carré lui même et Polly frémit. Il s'intégra part parties. il s'intégra par fractions simples. Après qu'il "co-factora", il fit "Runge-Kutta" sur elle. Il alla même tout autour d'elle et fit une intégration de son contour. Curly continua d'opérer jusqu'à ce qu'à satisfaire les hypothèses de Polly, puis il "exponentiella" et devien complètement octogonal.

Lorsque Polly arriva à la maison ce soir-là, sa mère remarqua qu'elle n'était plus continue par morceaux, mais qu'elle avait été tronquée en plusieurs endroits. Mais il était trop tard pour faire la différence maintenant. Les mois passèrent, le dénominateur de Polly augmenta de façon monotone. Finalement, on l'a emmené à L'Hopital et on lui a généré une petite fonction pathologique qui la laissa sourde dans tous les sens et la conduit à la déviation.

La morale de cette histoire est la suivante : "si vous voulez garder vos expressions convergentes, ne leur permetez jamais un seul degré de liberté".

Voilà ce que l'auteur appelle obtenir vos droits en Pondamentaux en mathématiques.

Quote :
Polly wants a cracker
I think I should get off her first
I think she wants some water
To put out the blow torch

Isn't me
Have a seed
Let me clip
Dirty wings
Let me take a ride
Hurt yourself
Want some help
Help myself
Got some rope
Have been told
I promise you
Have been true
Let me take a ride
Hurt yourself
Want some help
Help myself

Polly wants a cracker
Maybe she would like moore food
Ask me to untie her
A chase would be nice for a few

Isn't me
Have a seed
Let me clip
Dirty wings
Let me take a ride
Hurt yourself
Want some help
Help myself
Got some rope
Have been told
I promise you
Have been true
Let me take a ride
Hurt yourself
Want some help
Help myself

Polly said

Polly says her back hurts
She's just as bored as me
She caught me off my guard
It amazes me, the will of instinct

Isn't me
Have a seed
Let me clip
Dirty wings
Let me take a ride
Hurt yourself
Want some my help
Help myself
I've got some rope
Have been told
I promise you
Have been true
Let me take a ride
Hurt yourself
Want some my help
Help myself

Cette histoire cachée sous des termes mathématiques et scientifiques est en fait la même que Kurt Cobain nous chante dans "Polly". L'histoire d'une adolescence de 14 ans qui a été enlevée, violée et torturée, en revenant d'un concert punk en 1987.

Quote :
This is about the actual kidnapping of a 14 year old girl. In 1987, she was returning from a concert in Tacoma, Washington when she was abducted by a man named Gerald Friend. He took her back to his mobile home and raped her. The girl, whose name was not released, was tortured with a whip, a razor, and a blowtorch. She managed to escape when Friend took her for a ride and stopped for gas. He was arrested and sent to jail. (thanks, Nick - Paramus, NJ)

C'est une chanson à propos du kidnapping d'une fille de 14 ans. En 1987, elle rentrait d'un concert à Tacoma, Washington, quand elle a été enlevée par un homme nommé Gerald Friend. Il l'a ramené à son mobile home et l'a violé. La jeune fille dont le nom n'a pas été révélé, a été torturée avec un fouet, un rasoir et une "blowtorch" (cliquez). Elle a réussi à s'échaper quand Gerald Friend l'a emmené en balade et qu'il a stopé pour faire le plein. Il a été arrêté et envoyé en prison.

EDIT : une blowtorch = un chalumeau XD (merci Cocco Very Happy)
Back to top Go down

[Story for Geeks] Pretty Little Poly Nomial & Curly Pi
Page 1 of 1